Sandy welcomed everyone; the meeting was again very well attended.
The Worn Threads
Marion Robertson told the group how well the exhibition was received at Lady Sew and Sew and the NNA. At Lady Sew and Sew they reckon about 500 people had been to see it. The next venue is in Bristol at the West Country Quilt and Textile show from 11th to 13th November. The exhibits must be with Marion or Sandy at least a week prior to that. Marion also asked for stewards to help over the weekend.
Information about upcoming events
- Child of the Sixties by Threaded Together at Lady Sew and Sew, 2nd – 23rd June
- ENGAGE Art at South Hill Park 2nd – 3rd July. This event will be a visual spectacular! It will involve art installations inside and in the grounds, students work will be exhibited, free workshops and demonstrations
- At BBC Country File Live at Blenheim Palace in August, Kate Findlay will be talking about her bird pictures, 4th – 7th August
- Whiteknights Studio Trail in Reading 11th – 12th June 2016
- North Surrey Group Guildford House Gallery 18th – 19th June where Mavis Walker’s chess set will be on display
- Wokingham Arts Trail September 2016
Tactile books for children with special needs
Merete showed the group a fabric book made for a visually impaired child. The books are multisensory and have to be robust for little hands to explore. There will be a workshop about making tactile books at the meeting in May 2017. In preparation for this, people were encouraged to start collecting bits and bobs – it will all come in useful one day. The leaflet about how to make tactile books will be put on the website.
Textile artists mentoring
Kate Findlay informed the group about a textile mentoring group she and a friend are in the process of setting up. This is still in the early stages, please contact Kate if interested on Kate@findlays.net
Annie Hamilton showed her series of pictures based on her apple tree.
The Sewing Machine Project
The private view is on the 7 May 12-2, (Sandra will be there stewarding 17/18, 22 May).
This open studio/gallery event is one of a kind and explores work for many creative disciplines.
All welcome. http://www.studio21textileart.co.uk/
There is also a lot more to see besides at SIT (Stroud International Textiles) more information at http://www.sitselect.org/index.html_